Tip 1: Easy Google™ dictionary definitions
- e.g. define: word
- Next time you don't quite understand a word, simply Google™ the word using the above format
- Google™ will then display a whole list of definitions from all kinds of different sources
- e.g. 1+1
- Type in a calculation into the search box and let Google™ do the rest. Too easy.
Tip 2: Google™ calculator
Tip 3: Search for a specific phrase rather than groups of ideas
- e.g. "this is amazing"
- This feature is great if you know exactly what you're looking for. e.g. if you are looking for information about a specific film or book
Tip 4: Quick Currency Conversion using Google™
- e.g. 100 USD in AUD
- Using Google™ to convert currency using current exchange rates straight straight from your search box is very convenient!
Tip 5: Searching for specific file types using Google™
- e.g. apples filetype:pdf
- Searching for specific kinds of files using Google™ can often be very handy. e.g. PDF, Word docs, Excel spreadsheets etc
Tip 6: Searching only a specific website using Google™ site search
- e.g. iphone site:apple.com
- It is sometimes very frustrating when you remember finding something very interesting on a particular site, then when you go searching for it later on, you can only find results on other sites. Use site search to only search the relevant site with Google™ for the right page.
Tip 7: Using negative match keywords with Google™ Search
- e.g. mp3 player -ipod
- Let's say for some reason you want to search for mp3 players, but don't want to see any results talking about iPods because you're bored of them. This is very hard without using negative keywords; however, by adding a very simple negative keyword, finding what you're looking for is easy.
Tip 8: Using Google™ to tell the time
- e.g. time in London
- Ask Google the time anywhere in the world and the answer will be yours in a flash. Just type in 'time in' and the name of a city.
Tip 9: Using the tilde ~ symbol with Google™ Search
- e.g. Italian Language ~help
- Sometimes it's handy to find results all related to one keyword. Using the ~ symbol before a keyword returns results from that particular keyword, as well as other related words. So if you are looking for help, support or advice with Italian Language, you may type in 'Italian Language ~help'.
Tip 10: Email with Google™
- Have you tried email the Google™ way? Try Gmail, Google's free mail service. Over 7GB of storage means you will never have to delete emails, and you can use Google's search technology to search through all your emails like never before. Gmail has the best spam detection of any provider plus countless other cool features like pop3, imap and can even remind you when you forget an attachment. Give it a go! You can also get GMail at your domain. e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tip 11: Converting measurements with Google™ Search
- e.g. 89 miles in km
- Need to convert something from imperial to metric units of measurement? Need to change temperature from degrees Fahrenheit to degrees Celsius? Inches to CM? KM to Miles? It's easy with Google™ - just type it in!
Tip 12: Browsing the web with Google™
- Looking for a super fast browser? Google™ Chrome is multi-threaded meaning it is great for people who like to multi-task and utilise a bunch of tabs at the same time. Try Google Chrome - super fast, simple, and sophisticated.